International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
Director of Content, August 2016-present
Senior Writer, September 2015-August 2016
- Create, promote and leverage marketing and editorial content that supports the IIDA brand, enhances the value of IIDA membership and positions IIDA as an industry thought leader.
- Created and maintain an editorial calendar to ensure content aligns with the goals of the membership and marketing departments as well as leadership priorities. Develop, plan and execute the promotion and distribution of content through various platforms, including publications, social media, website, email campaigns and print marketing materials.
- Manage the production of editorial content, including five e-newsletters, the IIDA blog, executive reports, industry research, a compensation survey and the association’s annual report. Determine content strategy and creative direction, create content/supervise the creation of content, and manage vendors, writers and designers.
- Editorial director of Perspective magazine, the award-winning IIDA design journal, which is printed and delivered twice a year to IIDA members. Work alongside production team, freelance writers and senior management to determine editorial and art direction for 12 departments and five feature stories. Write front of book letter from the IIDA CEO. Determine how to repurpose editorial content across digital platforms and work with marketing team to promote Perspective by creating social media buzz ahead of each issue’s release.
- Pitch, research and write a monthly column in Interiors & Sources
- Serve as ghost writer for IIDA CEO and board president. Provide strategic and executive communications counsel.
- Proofread and approve all communication and marketing materials to ensure adherence to IIDA brand guidelines.
- Supervise a communications coordinator.
- Key member of team responsible for relaunching Perspective magazine in 2016. Relaunch included a complete redesign, new editorial direction and robust social media promotion plan. Perspective was recognized by the 2017 Content Marketing Awards as the winner of the Best Print Publication – Design category and as a finalist in the Best Association Publication category.
- Secured upwards of 20 media placements for the release of Design Leveraged research publication. Crafted an email pitch that resulted in a Fast Company online story about the publication.
- Managed the move of IIDA newsletters and email marketing from Critical Impact to MailChimp, which provided a savings of more than $20,000 annually. Worked with the design team to refresh the layout to better reflect the IIDA brand. Implemented subject line best practices, which resulted in open rates increasing from 20% to 30%.
Louisa Fitzgerald Freelance
Writer & Digital Content Strategist, December 2013-present
- Provide businesses with content marketing solutions through content creation, management and promotion. Current clients include:
- Sittercity: Pitch, research and write stories targeted to parents and nannies. Perform keyword research and optimize articles for search. Provide photos as needed. Work has appeared on both the Sittercity blog and in the Child Care Resources content library.
- Fit4Mom Chicago Western Suburbs: Consult on content marketing and social media strategy. Produce fitness and local parenting content for Fit4Mom blog. Manage Twitter and Pinterest accounts. Provide photos as needed.
- Kara Keller Real Estate: Recommend and execute social media strategy. Manage Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest accounts.
- Pitch, research and produce editorial content on a variety of parenting topics for print and digital outlets, including local magazines (Chicago Suburban Family Magazine), local blogs (Kidlist) and national blogs (Mom Babble, UnderBlog and Blogher).
DePaul University, Enrollment Management & Marketing
Associate Director, Content Marketing & Editorial Services, June 2009-January 2015
- Was responsible for strategic creation and management of content supporting university recruitment and brand marketing, including editorial, Web and video initiatives. Assessed prospective student print and email marketing materials and made recommendations for multichannel content that would support and/or enhance messaging, reach and response based on strategic priorities. Sought out stories to ensure fresh content was available for print and online recruitment efforts. Used SEO best practices to create Web content. Created and maintained content calendar.
- Developed social media content strategy framework. Brainstormed, researched, recommended and executed social media tactics, including infographics, hashtags, contests, and video and editorial content. Determined university content to promote through social channels based on target market, recruitment cycle and audience engagement.
- Wrote copy for undergraduate, transfer and graduate recruitment marketing materials, including print and digital communications. Interviewed faculty, students and alumni for marketing, editorial and video content. Provided creative direction for copy based on marketing strategy and tactical execution. Ensured consistency of brand voice. Contributing writer for university publications, including DePaul Magazine.
- Steward of the DePaul brand. Ensured all communication materials adhere to brand guidelines. Utilized the DePaul brand framework to develop key messages that align with brand positioning, promise and identity.
- Project managed undergraduate, traditional transfer and adult transfer recruitment marketing materials, as well as internal communication materials, including newsletters, viewbooks, travel pieces, postcards, brochures, microsites and emails. Maintained strong relationships and collaborated with university clients to determine priorities, timelines and budgets. Established and managed cross-functional teams to execute projects as necessary. Tracked results and made recommendations for future campaigns.
- Supervised content team. Provided ongoing performance feedback and opportunities for professional development. Assisted with managing the priorities of the in-house design team.
- Researched, proposed and launched student-run Instagram account, instagram.com/iamdepaul, in order to better reach undergraduate prospective students with unfiltered ‘student life’ content. Account features visual content from a different current student each week. Wrote account guidelines. Oversaw recruitment and training of students. Account launched in April 2014 and has grown by 50-100 followers each week—twice the amount projected—and has grown to more than 1,500 followers as of January 2015.
- Launched the Vincent on Leadership microsite project. Managed project from conception through execution. Determined visual content and wrote copy. Collaborated with a Web developer to build site. Project aims to engage undergraduate students with the leadership values of the university’s namesake, St. Vincent de Paul, and aligns with the goals set forth in the university’s current strategic plan.
- Managed communication flow and created messaging for annual Undergraduate Search PSAT/ACT project. Developed custom messaging for direct mail and email to high school students based on major, location, test scores and age. Custom messages improved response rates among students interested in health-related majors by 5%.
- Managed launch of new undergraduate recruitment creative concept in 2012. Coordinated focus groups and analyzed findings to determine key consumer insights that directly impacted the strategic direction of the creative concept. Determined timelines and priorities. Managed photo shoots. Supervised the redesign and copywriting of key marketing pieces.
Public Library Association (PLA), a division of the American Library Association
Marketing and Communications Manager, July 2006-June 2009
- Developed strategic marketing plan promoting membership, events, continuing education, advocacy initiatives and publications. Supervised marketing coordinator. Managed marketing budget. Increased membership by 8% despite a cost increase.
- Developed and executed communication plan for “Turning the Page” advocacy conferences. Managed relationships with fiscal agents, Gates Foundation staff and event speakers. Wrote event scripts.
- Developed marketing plan for the PLA National Conference. Created and managed distribution of direct mail, email and promotional items. Managed production of conference program. Created promotional e-Newsletter, PLA @ the Conference, On the Town, which featured conference programming and travel information. Managed content on conference website.
GolinHarris, Healthcare Group, Chicago, IL
Senior Account Executive, TOPAMAX account, January 2006-July 2006
Account Executive, TOPAMAX account, February 2005-December 2005
- Assisted in development of “Mind Over Migraine” public relations plan. Managed $1.25 million account budget. Managed relationships with clients, physicians, patients and vendors.
- Managed “Mind Over Migraine” local market tour. Determined exhibit elements, managed collateral and staffed events. Scheduled speakers and developed presentations. Promoted events through local market media outreach.
- Managed “Mind Over Migraine” website. Created content and oversaw production to site. Implemented quarterly HTML e-newsletter for registered users. Developed e-newsletter content.
- Coordinated Let’s Talk patient/physician communication initiative. Scheduled patients and physicians for video shoot, collaborated with the production company on concept, oversaw production and developed distribution plan.
- Developed media strategies. Pitched stories to local and national media. Created press releases, pitch letters and media kits.
The Buckeye Ranch, Grove City, OH
Senior Public Relations Coordinator, July 2002 – September 2003
Public Relations Coordinator, June 2001 – June 2002
- Key contact for local and regional media inquiries. Generated extensive pre-event news coverage for the Buckeye Ranch Film Festival by increasing the number of positive news clips by 30%.
- Planned and executed events, including: annual meetings, Buckeye Ranch Film Festival, golf outings, Community Fall Fest, and 40th Anniversary Gala. Managed vendors and production of event collateral. Wrote event scripts for CEO.
- Wrote and managed the production of marketing materials, including the annual report. Produced a marketing video.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Master of Science, Integrated Marketing Communications
Ohio University, Athens, OH
Bachelor of Science, Visual Communications/Interactive Multimedia
Service, Professional Memberships and Awards
- Berwyn Historical Society, Volunteer, Berwyn Bungalow Walk 2011, 2013, 2014
- American Marketing Association, Member
- Case Editors Forum, Member
- Taproot Foundation, Pro-bono copywriter, Gads Hill Center website, gadshillcenter.org
- GolinHarris Agency Awards, Best of Agency Award, “Mind Over Migraine” Campaign
- GolinHarris Brainstorming Committee, Committee Leader
- Central Ohio Public Relations Society of America, PRISM Awards Honorable Mention – Media Relations Tactics